Monday, April 13, 2009

Laundry Detergent

Thank you Tracy for the recipe!
I use this and so does my mom and best friend. We love it!
This is a modification of the recipe that I got from Queen of Clean's website (which is the same recipe of Mrs. Duggar of the 18+ kids fame). If you google homemade laundry detergent, you'll get TONS of recipes.
water
1/3 Bar Fels Naptha Soap, Grated
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax
2 Gallon Bucket
15-20 drops Sweet Orange Essential Oil
1. Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 4 cups hot water, and heat on med. low until dissolved.
2. Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat.
3. Add 6 cups Hot Water to 2 Gallon Bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well.
4. Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well. Add the essential oil drops.
5. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens.

Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.It takes me less than 30 minutes to make up a batch and I love love love it. I think it cleans just as well as Tide and better than any other store bought brand. Less plastic and chemicals in the environment and on my families clothes. And I seriously doubt it costs more than a penny per load, compared with how expensive and artificial Tide is. Seriously, even if we had lots of $$, I would still make it myself. It's too easy and beneficial to not do it, in my opinion. :)

REMEMBER: --Baking Soda and Washing Soda are NOT the same thing. You can use Baking Soda, but you will not get near the same results.-- You can get the ingredients at your grocery store(IGA). I did end up buying the Fels-Naptha Soap at ACE Hardware stores. I found Borax at IGA and Target. Organic essential oils can be found in various price ranges from $3.50-$10.00 at Ozark Naural Foods.

3 comments:

  1. My mother in law just gave me some to try out! It's the Duggar recipe! I'm loving it so far! I was going to post about this on my blog soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it! I am experimenting with different variations and different fragrances. I'm working on creating a button for my blog. Feel free to copy and paste the info and save time on the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me feedback or post your great finds!